I'm quite overloaded this week, so I won't have too much time to make a
detailed answer :-(

>From my understanding G4JSF is dead and replaced by ajax4jsf, which is quite
different.
It makes no use of GWT.

If you want a clean and powerful way of keeping state in a GWT/Jsf mixed
appication ,
seam is really a nice answer.

You can really use seam as a "glue" between facelets pages and GWT modules.

Basicaly, seam provides "components" (beans in fact) , which can be used
from GWT modules and from JSF pages.
>From a facelet view, it's really easy to get values and call methods with
EL.

>From GWT, seam remoting enables the use of seam components instead of OOTB
 GWT services.

I hope to get some tme to make a little example. It's not easy to extract a
sample from my current project...

I do agree that it's not easy to see the light in all these frameworks...
but here is the solution I use.... I' don't know if it's the best, but well
it works for me.

We use EJB3 & Glassfish.