And...

since my onBrowserEvent(Event event) is within the ListBox, I added
the following check within onBrowserEvent(...) to only act on option
elements and not selects:

if (optionElement.getTagName().equalsIgnoreCase("option")) {
    switch (event.getTypeInt()) {
    case Event.ONMOUSEOVER:
        showTooltip(optionElement);
        break;
    case Event.ONMOUSEOUT:
        cancelTooltip(optionElement);
        break;
    case Event.ONMOUSEDOWN:
        cancelTooltip(optionElement);
        break;

My Tooltip class extends PopupPanel and here's the showTip() method
that shows the popup relative to the option being hovered over:

public void showTip() {
    setPopupPositionAndShow(new PopupPanel.PositionCallback() {
        public void setPosition(int offsetWidth, int offsetHeight) {
            int left = referenceElement.getAbsoluteLeft();
            int top = referenceElement.getAbsoluteTop() +
referenceElement.getOffsetHeight();
            setPopupPosition(left, top);
        }
    });