> I just wonder what people would like to see in a GWT library: what widgets,
> what features? I guess a nice look and feel for a start, but what else?

I took a brief look at gwt-mosaic and while I haven't used it yet, the
source for the examples is more in line with what I was hoping for
with GXT.

> What do you consider iffy design choices?

1) Use of generics.   If you're like me you rather work with POJO's
everywhere and have type safety.  I'd much rather call employee.getName
() then employee.get("name").  In many cases, the API design forces
you to use ModelData classes instead of BeanModel's or your wrapped
ModelData classes.  I think the GXT developer is aware of this and is
cleaning up the API a bit.

Many of the examples don't even use generics.

2) The GXT components are not easily extendable.  In Swing terms,
imagine if you extend JLabel and override paintComponent.  Instead of
rendering a label you render a red square.  Nothing breaks and you
have your nice shiny square.  If you take a GXT button and override
onRender with a completely new impl, chances are you will break
several things.  Other methods in the class depend on certain elements
to exist in the DOM or certain styles to exist in the Elements.  If
you plan on using GXT's components as is or customizing the CSS
slightly you should be fine.