I've had great success using the 'sliding doors' technique for
buttons.
Just google for the phrase - here is a good example of the css needed
- http://www.jorkas.com/lab/css/rounded_button/index.html

I basically just created my own 'MyButton' class which extends
InlineHTML and populates it with the html needed for the button, e.g.:
"<a href=\"#\" onclick=\"javascript: return false\" class=\"myButton

Then, I can instantiate with whatever label i want when I need a
button, add clickListeners, etc.