To answer my own question, existing web.xml files work fine with
hosted mode. I was able to setup log4j, jdom, my singleton and other
third party server side configuration by just copying the config into
the generated GWT web.xml in ./tomcat/webapss/ROOT/WEB-INF/web.xml and
I created a subdirectory called lib and put my third party server side
JARS in there and the hosted mode tomcat found them fine.