I override onBeforeRequestDeserialized and onAfterResponseSerialized
in my servlets to view the raw data being passed in RPC. I have also
used HashSet with generics and do not generally have problems.
Once, I think it was in an earlier version of GWT, I needed to add any
objects that I used generically to a fake method in one of my
services. So if the was Set<Foo> and Set<Bar> I would add workaround
(Foo arg0, Bar arg1) to any of my remote services. This got around the
problem.