On Jan 8, 8:50 am, "Ian Petersen" <ispet...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You _might_ be able to get what you want with Ray Cromwell's Exporter.
>  I forget where you can find it, but it's available on the web
> somewhere.  It might be hosted as a Google Code project.  You could
> probably find it by searching this list's history for posts by Ray
> Cromwell that mention "Exporter".  The Exporter basically allows you
> to mark certain classes and interfaces as "exportable".  Exported
> interfaces get wrapped in a bunch of JSNI goo to make it easy for a
> traditional Javascript script to call into the compiled GWT output.

Ian, many thanks. After a quick search, I found these resources:

Announcement of Exporter project:

http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit/browse_thread/thread/201528f512c546f3

GWT Exporter Google Code Page:

http://code.google.com/p/gwt-exporter/

At first glance, this looks like exactly what I was after.

> > I thought it was possible to turn off the mangling by setting compiler
> > flags. I've also read about JSNI in this context. Wouldn't one or both
> > of these help?
>
> JSNI can help, and the Exporter automates the drudgery for you.
> Turning off name mangling doesn't help, it just makes it possible for
> a human to read the compiler's output and make associations between
> the compiled code and the Java source that it came from.

Very nice. It looks like the documentation is pretty thin, but the
announcement has enough info to at least get started.

If anyone has any additional info on GWT-Exporter or Exporter-like
packages, I'd be very interested to hear about them.

Thanks,
Rich