Hey,

   I used java RPC and .net (C#) HttpHandlers JSON (mostly due to a
office climate).  I found with GWT 1.4 and 1.5 java was easier to deal
with on the server side.  Also in GWT 1.5 localhost running on a
different port got a GWT security Exception so that java with RPC wins
hands down in my opinion.  It is at least twice as fast to develop
with when using Eclipse and the GWTDesigner (wisiwig).
   Going forward I will only be using java serverside.

Cheers,
Scott