Hi,

I have found a work around but still do not understand why I had to do
this.  What I did was the following:

1.  I created a directory called bin

2.  I then compiled my server code using the following:

~/srs-2/src$ javac -cp $GWT_HOME/gwt-user.jar -d ../bin com/google/gwt/
sample/stockwatcher/client/StockPrice.java com/google/gwt/sample/
stockwatcher/client/StockPriceService.java com/google/gwt/sample/
stockwatcher/server/*.java

3.  Stared shell

Now the application works.  So my final question is why did I have to
do this manually?  From what I have read it appears that this is what
other users are doing but that does not match what the Stock Watcher
Tutorial indicated.

Thanks,
Arend