Hi Dave,
GWT strives to be a great solution for building Ajax applications - that
means easy to develop, highly performant and cross-browser compatible on all
major browsers.

That said, the team is keeping a close eye on IE8 developments, and will
make sure that GWT applications work without extra effort on the developer's
side.

For the moment, however, Arthur is correct in that GWT will use the regular
IE permutation when serving to an IE client. But that isn't really so bad,
since backwards compatibility is expected in IE8 (see link below):

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/01/21/compatibility-and-ie8.aspx

Hope that helps,
-Sumit Chandel