On Friday, October 2, 2015 at 1:14:34 AM UTC+2, Patrick May wrote:

> My application consists of a SplitLayoutPanel that has a StackLayoutPanel
> with two menu selections on the left and a DeckLayoutPanel on the right.
>  The DeckLayoutPanel has two subpanels, one a SimpleLayoutPanel containing
> a Label and one a DockLayoutPanel containing a Label and another
> SimpleLayoutPanel.  The last SimpleLayoutPanel contains a DataGrid.
>
> SplitLayoutPanel (TestUI)
>   + StackLayoutPanel
>   |   |
>   |   + CellList (Profile)
>   |   |
>   |   + CellList (Admin)
>   + DeckLayoutPanel
>       + SimpleLayoutPanel
>       |   |
>       |   + Label
>       + DockLayoutPanel (BudgetPanel)
>           + Label
>           + SimpleLayoutPanel (LedgerPanel)
>               + DataGrid
>
> All subpanels have their height and width set to 100% by their containing
> panels.

Don't do that. ProvidesResize panels do set the size of their children.

> The code is all available here:
> https://github.com/patrickmay/data-grid-issue/tree/master/TestUI
>
> *Expected Behavior*
>
> The expected behavior is that clicking on the "Budget" menu item in the
> StackLayoutPanel will show the BudgetPanel, including the LedgerPanel's
> DataGrid.
>

> *Observed Behavior*
>
> When the "Budget" menu item is clicked, the DockLayoutPanel is displayed,
> with its header Label, the DataGrid column headers are displayed, but the
> DataGrid rows do not appear.

Possibly related to https://github.com/gwtproject/gwt/issues/4694 (or
similar bug).
Try calling forceLayout() on the DockLayoutPanel when you switch to it in
the DeckLayoutPanel.

> When a Label is added to the south area of the DockLayoutPanel, the
> application compiles but nothing is displayed, not even the top level
> StackLayoutPanel.

IIRC, the "center" area must always be added last. Calling addSouth()
before add() might be enough to fix the problem (it's been a while since I
last manipulated layout panels)

> When the DataGrid is replaced with a CellTable, the data is displayed
> (although the height of each row is much more than necessary to hold the
> data).

This is (probably) because the widget is given explicit dimensions by the
SimpleLayoutPanel (through the ProvidesResize/RequiresResize chain up to
the RootLayoutPanel).