"classpath conflict is generally not a valid reason, because the part of
GWT that includes Jetty is not concerned about the server side of the
applications"
Unless you run [Super]DevMode, which runs both in a single JVM, then it is
a pain.
There are other libs which are bundled in GWT jars, causing some
inconveniences too, like
IMHO, saying to run with -noserver is not a perfect solution either,
because it complicates things, requiring 2 jvms, and don't playing well
with RPC and security policies.
Having most of people (if not all) using either an IDE plugin or Maven,
which can manage the classpath, I don't see a reason to bundle (very old)
3rd party classes in the GTW jar.