Let's say I have a view with a list of items. When I click on an item I go
to a new Place and view with details about that item.  In this details
view, I do some update to the item, then want to return back to the list
view, but only using the back button on the browser.

If the user clicks the back button on the browser, that would trigger a
place change event (a History.back() call)  and would return me to the
list, however, the item in the list would be the stale version of the item,
rather than the new version I just updated.

How can I pass the updated item to the list when only using the back button
on the browser, and without reaching out to the server?