Hi again Stefan ;-)

In my opinion its just a matter of preference. If you like Java and are
productive with it, use GWT, if you like Javascript and are productive with
it, use Angular.

I'm on the Java side, so it's quite unfair for me to make a list of pros
and cons of each language. You can have good and bad programmers in any of
it, good and bad code in any of it.

But talking about the trending, Javascript is far less "complicated" than
Java. It's faster to get the job done, at least on the web. Remember the
old days of C++ vs. Java? Same story: Java is less "complicated" than C++,
you don't have to worry about memory management, platform issues, different
compilers and so on. Now Javascript says similar things to Java: no worry
about types, strong hierarchy of classes, static compilation, inner classes
and so on.

Did Java killed C++? Not by far. Will Javascript kill Java? No, it won't.
Which should you pick to create your next web project? It's up to you.

An interesting note: Angular 2 uses Typescript - which support strong
typing (aka. becoming "more complicated"). And GWT is becoming more
interoperable with Javascript, allowing code to be reused and accessed in a
much better way that JSNI (aka. becoming "less complicated"). Do you see
where is this leading to? I think both technologies are going "merge" at
some point. Javascript is becoming the bytecode, the lower-level language
of the web, the same way C and assembly are the lower-level languages of
the operating systems. Code written is any language that compiles to
Javascript will be reusable in other languages/frameworks, just like C
libraries are today.

If you are hiring developers for your company, you have an interesting
scenario: since Javascript as a serious programming language is something
relatively new (there are still people that thinks Javascript is just for
animations on static web pages), it's harder to find senior Javascript
developers than senior Java developers. But if you are looking for people
with less than 3~5 years of experience, you may find easier to recruit
Javascript developers.

In my opinion Java developers shouldn't judge Javascript the same way they
were judged by C++ developers in the past. They are just tools. Pick the
tool which you consider is the right one for the job. Hammers can't "kill"
screwdrivers.