My 2 cent.

I have been working with GWT for past 7 years. I have used plain GWT,
GWT/GXT2, GWT/GXT2/GXT3 and GWT/GXT2/GXT3/GWTP in different project.

I like GWT because its Java and its Earlier Dev Mode support. And of course
because of other benefits like Maintainability, Cross Browser Support etc.

I don't like GWT because:

- Generates Lots of Javascript code. Code splitting solve this problems,
but still it generates double(or even more) JS code than that of pure JS
app.
- You write code in Java, but you also consider(or Think) how the
Javascript will be generated.
- Production mode debugging is easy in Javascript written app(of course if
you have not minified it)
- Less Jobs in Market for GWT.(Though it has advantage of high Pay)
- As far as I know, no new product development uses GWT, lots of company
still using it because they can't migrate easily.

Regards
Gourab.