Don't forget about EventSource / Server Sent Events.

Browser support: http://caniuse.com/#search=eventsource
There are polyfills for IE/Edge: https://github.com/Yaffle/EventSource (there
are other mentioned in README.md)

The advantage over websockets is that it uses plain http connection, just
long lived and managed by the browser itself (do not mistake it for long
polling). That means it should not be affected by firewalls.