Did you try setting the 'http_proxy' and/or 'HTTP_PROXY' environment
variable?  The embedded hosted mode is a modified version of Mozilla
1.7.

Here's an interesting post gleaned from the internet:
http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=11520

--
Eric Z. Ayers - GWT Team - Atlanta, GA USA
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/