Is GWT + RequestFactory + Google App Engine + JDO still considered a best
practice (as suggested by the GWT docs), or is there a recommended
alternative, assuming I would like to use GWT with AppEngine cloud
datastore?

I have used this combination for a while, however the code is slowly
becoming outdated without any signs of updates.  If I am building a new
application with GWT and app engine, what suite of tools would best align
me with future development?