> I haven't managed to find any further info here... suppose I'll regard
> GWT.runAsync() as "broken" avoid it going forward.

I don't think its generally broken, otherwise lots of people would complain
about it, myself included as we use code splitting at work. Does your app
use a custom GWT linker?

By default GWT 2.8 uses com.google.gwt.core.linker.CrossSiteIframeLinker
and if you take a look at that class and at the method
wrapDeferredFragment() you will see that this method is responsible
creating the runAsyncCallback functions. Somehow these runAsyncCallback
functions do not exist in your app and thus GWT.runAsync() fails in your
app as it can not install the downloaded code.

-- J.