I've always used the closure compiler with past versions (even with
2.8.0-beta1, which we have used in production already).
Now, to my surprise, it is no longer supported in GWT 2.8.0-rc1, as there's
no mention to it in the release notes
(http://www.gwtproject.org/release-notes.html).

Now the compiler no longer supports the old closure compiler option, but
has a new -X[no]closureFormattedOutput option.
I'm guessing closure compiler is no longer integrated in GWT, but it still
has the option to format for closure to a later (manual) usage of closure
compiler.
I'm using the gwt-maven-plugin, which still uses beta1, but explicitly
changing its dependencies to 2.8.0-rc1 for gwt-user, gwt-dev and
gwt-codeserver artifacts, making it usable already for rc1.
I can't, however, pass the new option (I think there's no way to pass
arbitrary compiler arguments with gwt-maven-plugin) until the maven plugin
is updated.

What are the new instructions to keep using closure compiler?