I guess I am confused. I understand the need to do as much testing as
possible with regular JUnit/TestNG tests, which I try to do. What I don't
understand precisely is where the area of coverage for GWTTestCase is -
it's some area between vanilla JUnit and Selenium/Webdriver, but it's clear
I don't understand what that area is or how to take advantage of it. I am
certain the structure of my code is a problem - I hacked some bits together
and embedded a dependency on a spring gwt webservice, which I can't run
within the JUnitShell. It makes sense to remove that dependency and supply
a mock object.

Part of my confusion, I believe, stems from the documentation for the
gwt-maven-plugin, which says that it considers the GWTTestCase integration
tests and not unit tests. Thus I categorize them so, and rush to try and
integrate the kitchen sink. So your suggestions have helped to clear up
this misunderstanding on my part, I appreciate this clarification, Thank
you Thomas.