I found some JSNI code that was inadvertently doing a javascript object
clone of a GWT object. Fixing that solved my problem. Although it's still
not clear why it would only trigger in optimized code and not draft compile
or why no exceptions were being captured in the console. Oh well, it's
fixed now.

Thank you all for your suggestions!