I think you are right in that going through the DOM is the only way, rather
than through the cell during instantiation.  It makes sense if you think
about it too, considering that within the Cell renderer code that I write,
the element has yet to even attach to the DOM.  So, the solution (I think)
is to wait until the CellList rows are rendered and attached to the DOM,
and then find the element either by Id or some other means using the DOM.
 In my case, I give the Id a specific name in the cell renderer code, and
then later use getElementById to find the Element.   Thanks for the reply.