I just wrote the FAQ item yesterday, so I haven't a chance to explore
a lot of different options.

If you want to go the absolute path way, you could also use an
external script that does some text processing (perl, python, sed) to
substitute variables into your css from before deploying it.

Another way to solve this is to use the Stylesheet Injector (currently
in the incubator) and processing the stylesheet text and doing some
substitution with _IG_GetCachedUrl().

I would appreciate feedback on these or other options for making
stylesheets work better with gadgets.  This is a place where GWT could
add a lot of value.

--
Eric Z. Ayers - GWT Team - Atlanta, GA USA
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/