Shouldn't really matter if M1 Pro or M1 Max, given that both have the same
CPU. Also the doubled memory bandwidth of the M1 Max shouldn't matter too
much, if at all. Have you run the benchmarks multiple times? I am pretty
sure the 10s difference will become much smaller when using mean numbers of
multiple runs.

In my opinion the M1 Pro is the perfect chip for development unless you
also do graphic intense work. With less GPU cores you also get slightly
better battery life.

Nevertheless, the M1 performance gain is pretty nice, given that the
MacBook Pro will be barely warm.

-- J.