Hello,

Recently, I started to resume on our GWT upgrade project with GWT 2.9 and
JDK 11.

As it has been discussed before, the embedded Jetty server can't work with
JDK 11 due to the ASM lib version issue. The recommended approach is to set
up an external server, so I followed the following GWT document to manually
configure GWT development mode by following steps specified in the second
Video. I've watched the video and tried this approach many times, but it
still gave 404 error. It seems hard to setup external server and configure
Development mode correctly for our project.

Any input or suggestion is greatly appreciated!

*http://gwt-plugins.github.io/documentation/gwt-eclipse-plugin/servers/Tomcat.html*

Manually Configure GWT Development Mode

Manually Configuring the -launcherDir in the GWT Eclipse Plugin

Our GWT project is not Maven oriented and it was developed several years
ago with a big codebase.

Step 1: Converted Aries project to Dynamic Web Project by adding project
facet "Dynamic Web Module" in Eclipse.

Step 2: Set up Apache Tomcat 9 Server

Step 3: Add the project to server. Right click on Server -> Add and Remove

Step 4: Start the Tomcat Server

Step 5: Right click project->Debug As -> GWT Development mode

Step 6. It started fine. Stop it so we can add the -launcherDir Program Arg

Step 7: Double click on Tomcat server, select Open launch configuration

 Get the server web app directory root: wtp.deploy

Copy path

C:\EclipseGWTCodeServerWorkSpace\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.wst.server.core\tmp0\wtpwebapps

Step 8. Open the file explorer to see the deployment path

Step 9: Go to Debug Configurations

GWT Development Mode (CodeServer)->Arguments.

Add -launcherDir

Value: It is the wtp.deploy arg + context path.

After updated the Argument to GWT Development Mode(CodeServer), the
Arguments tab has following content:

-launcherDir
C:\EclipseGWTCodeServerWorkSpace\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.wst.server.core\tmp0\wtpwebapps\aries

-logLevel INFO -port 9876 edu.vanderbilt.mc.aries.ARIES

Step 10 Launch the code server, click on Debug from CodeServer dialog. Now
both the Web Server and Code Server are running. Back to the file manager.
Watching for the application directory to be created.

Step 11: Launch the browser for debugging with the Javascript Debugging

Open with SBDG debugger

Step 12: Open browser with Code Server URL: 127.0.0.1:9876 and Change the
port number to 8080 ( the Tomcat web server port number)

It gave me 404 Not found error.

Your help is greatly appreciated,

Jenny