See https://tbroyer.github.io/gwt-maven-plugin/codeserver.html for the
differences between gwt:compile and gwt:codeserver.
Here, because it looks like you have both server and client code in the
same Maven project, I'd say this is because your gwt-user is in
scope=provided so it's not available at runtime.
You can workaround this by reconfiguring the gwt:codeserver's
classpathScope:
https://tbroyer.github.io/gwt-maven-plugin/codeserver-mojo.html#classpathScope

To troubleshoot: run Maven with debug logs (mvn -X gwt:codeserver), the
plugin will emit two lines starting with "Classpath: " and "Arguments: "
respectively that you can inspect; and you'll also see debug logs from GWT.
Also, turn on failOnError, maybe there was something earlier that caused
that error.