A couple of searches recently, I've noticed that clicking a result
doesn't take me to the site the result is from, but instead seems to
be proxied by google. Interestingly, the proxy URL is of the form
www.google.com/gwt/...

For instance, on an iPhone

Search for "how many sudoku puzzles are there"

First result, right now, is :
sudoku.infoforliving.com/2005/...

Clicking it brings up URL:
http://www.google.com/gwt/n?oe=UTF-8&client=safari&q=how+many+possible+sudokus+are+there&ct=res&oi=blended&sa=X&cd=1&resnum=1&hl=en&ei=05SVSfjOLI2wqQKejej3Ag&u=http%3A%2F%2Fsudoku.infoforliving.com%2F2005%2F05%2Fjust-how-many-sudoku-combinations-are.html

And it looks great on  mobile safari! Not so great on firefox, but you
won't get proxied if you're using firefox anyways.

So, if this is a GWT doing, congratulations to the team for the high
profile integration with google's big ol' search!