Well to start with what do you mean by normal, and default.  If your
referring to Log4j or ApacheCommons logging which I believe Tomcat
uses you probably just need to copy the config files (log4j.properties
or log4j.xml, or commons_logging.properties or some combination of
them) into the directory where tomcat lite runs.
   If your running from eclipse (i'm using the GWT Designer), then it
will pick these up from your src directory.  If you need log info from
your GWT client, check out my port of commons logging to GWT;
http://www.adligo.com
http://cvs.adligo.org/viewvc/

There is a project gwt_util_demo.
I also use my commons logging port server side so in my case I have
adligo_log.properties in a few locations;
src/adligo_log.properties (Servlets/J2EE jvm)
and
src/my_package/public/adligo_log.properties (Javascript/GWT)

Note my port doesn't create a file, but loggs to System.out on the
server which ends up in the Tomcat server.log, or on the console in
eclipse.

Cheers.
Scott