The JSON spec actually has no way of representing a date.

There are several possible methods (and hacks) that allow you to ship dates
over JSON (though none
of them are really perfect).

I would personally recommend sending dates as UTC numbers, since that way you
don't have to hack the
JSON encoding / decoding process to get it to work, the disadvantage being you
loose readability of
your data (as plain text).

Hope that helps a bit.
//J