That is not a great way because it bypasses the whole internationalization
framework of GWT for no good reason.  Essentially, you're going to have to
duplicate the effort to make your own for no good reason.

At that point, just make RPC calls (or regular Ajax calls) to fetch the
strings from the server, and make sure that you have some kind of global
Map<String, List<Widget>> that you update based upon the Map<String, String>
you get back from the server (or you can use Dictionary if the server is
generating the page).