My problem is similar. My CSS for <option>- tag's of a select- element are
not shown "dynamically" their new CSS- layout in IE. I'am setting the CSS-
classes like the following:

listBox.getElement().getElementsByTagName("option").getItem(<index>).setClassName("empty-option");

My CSS looks like:

.empty-option {
  color: #F2A336;
}

This is only a color- change...
But this color is not shown in IE after adding the class. If I hide and show
the listBox again the colors are updated correctly in IE. But this cannot be
a correct workaround for me...

Example:

listBox.getElement().getElementsByTagName("option").getItem(<index>).setClassName("empty-option");
// after this the color of  css class empty-option is shown correctly in FF,
not IE
listBox.setVisible(false);
listBox.setVisible(true);
// now the color is shown correctly in IE too

This means, that the CSS works in all browsers. It's not a CSS- issue... I
dont know how to fix this.

-Danny