If I were you, I'd use the latest stable version (1.5) or, since you are
learning, the latest released version (1.6 which has major differences to
1.5)
I don't think anyone here can really remember how version 1.0 works any
more.

You will need to get a more recent version of Java, too.

Ian

http://examples.roughian.com