2009/4/7 Vitali Lovich <vlov...@gmail.com>

> On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Ian Bambury <ianbamb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> GWT isn't Java. It just uses Java syntax so that Java books are useful,
>> and things like Eclipse work for it.
>
> I believe the main goal was that you could do a lot of optimization at
> compile-time that just aren't possible at runtime (i.e. browser checks for
> compatability disappear) & the generated code can be smaller.

Maybe, but that could be done using the syntax of any language. I doesn't
explain why Java syntax was chosen.

>> GWT code becomes JavaScript. It is never at any point Java.
>>
> Well, technically, in HostedMode, it is Java with some minor Javascript
> code acting as a communication interface.

Nowhere is there a GWT-Java-JavaScript chain

If you compile GWT code it does *not* become Java at any point.

Hosted mode is not an intermediate stage on the way to JavaScript: it is a
useful dead-end.

> Threading is possible (or rather will be).  Gears & HTML5 browsers
> introduce the concept of worker threads.

Is threading possible right now? No. I wasn't trying to make statements that
a US lawyer would think were bomb-proof, I was just generalising things for
the present moment (not any time in the future) and assuming that we were
talking about GWT. Gears is not GWT any more than Java applets or Flash are.

> It would be an impossible task to emulate every possible class in every
>> Java library in existence. And would take for ever.
>>
> Not to mention that some are simply not possible due to browser
> restrictions (i.e. most of the java.io. stuff).

I would have thought that "...and some are impossible..." had that covered.
No?

Ian