1) That's the local copy on the remote server, right?
2) You could always be sneaky :D.  I wonder if a Button.click() would bypass
the blocker - my guess being now as that would be a flaw in the
popup-blocker.  One way though would be to do something like in the async
callback, display some kind of clickable message on the screen informing the
user it's ready - they hit ok, you display the doc, bypassing the
adblocker.  And you should know, at least with IE & FF, whether or not it's
a popup-blocker issue as the information bar should appear.
3).  I think he meant can you actually hit the file by entering the address
in the browser (not if the string looked OK).
4)  Like he said, it's not the issue - just cleaner programming style.