I use maven and GWT, and I just moved to GWT 1.6.4 they are published
I think in maven central repo, I use the antrun plugin to compile and
run the HostedMode in debug mode, I choose the antrun becase at the
time I started the project the maven gwt plugins where not mature
enough and I had not moved because the antrun is very simple and had
worked very well for me, by the way for those interested in using the
maven structure for GWT 1.6.4 , you have to pass -war /src/main/webapp
to the Compiler and HostedMode app to use the default maven structure

Cheers
Gabriel