public LIElement appendLI(UListElement ul, String text)
{
    LIElement li = Document.get().createLIElement();
    li.setText(text);
    ul.appendChild(li);
    return li;
}

final UListElement ul = Document.get().createULElement();
final LIElement li1 = appendLI(ul, "my text 1");
final LIElement li2 = appendLI(ul, "my text 2");

HTML myList = HTML.wrap(ul);

myList.addClickHandler(new ClickHandler() {
  public void onClick(ClickEvent event) {
       Element source = event.getRelativeElement();
       if (source != null) {
            Window.alert(source.getInnerText() + " clicked");
       } else {
            Window.alert("unexpected - event is relative to window");
});

Problem solved using plain GWT & you won't create memory leaks.