Hi Paul,

If I were you I would not discount Grails so quickly.
Despite there are issues with Grails GWT plugin you can go for example
with GWT + REST backend combination.
In my opinion using Grails is much easier then coding in Java with any
other common MVC type framework.
I heard NetBeans IDE working fine with Grails 1.1 . May be you can try
it out.

Anyway, good luck to you!