You contradict yourself.  A memory leak by definition does not display a
constant memory usage - *the* defining characteristic is that memory used
keeps increasing.  What you are describing is heavy memory usage & it is
consistent across browsers.

Thus you have a problem with your application - either it actually does need
that much memory, or you are doing some caching of objects somewhere and
never freeing that cache.

Without the code for your app or even knowing what it does, all I can
recommend is you first use Firebug to profile your code to find the heavy
CPU usage to track down what exactly is causing it - that might help you
find where you have heavy memory usage.

There's also the $199 tool that claims to be able to profile your JS memory
usage for you (I've never used it & couldn't find any free alternatives
http://www.softwareverify.com/javascript/memory/index.html)

There's a free tool for IE memory leak detection (
http://www.outofhanwell.com/ieleak/index.php?title=Main_Page) but that
probably won't help you as what you have described is not a leak.