hi,
GWT client won't access to file out of the public (webapp) www files.
If you want to access file out of webapp, you will have to proxify it
(servlet) with some well known security issues.

--
   “There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make
it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is

   Sir Charles Anthony Richard Hoare