Actually, I made a mistake in the install instructions:

>Alternatively, you can just rename the temporary directory to "eclipse",
remove the site.xml file, and copy this >directory under your Eclipseinstall's
*dropins* directory.

This is not correct. If you want to install via this mechanism, you first
need to go into the features directory under the temporary directory that
you created, and unjar all of the jar files in there. Then you can go ahead
an install via the dropins mechanism. Note that this only needs to be done
if installing via the dropins mechanism - if you're installing using the
local update site technique, then you shouldn't unjar the feature jars.