On Apr 23, 1:04 pm, Jeff Chimene <jchim...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You're asking two questions:

At least.  :-D

>      You've already said you don't want to "... have one giant .war file
> that represents my whole application...". In GWT, I'd use multiple
> applications, each with its own entry point. Apply generous amounts of
> JUnit.

So--just so I'm clear--five .war files, five Eclipse projects, etc.?
Each of which would feature at least one entry point?  How are you
suggesting I should pull these entry points together under the
"housing"?  That's where I'm conceptually stuck.  Or, conversely,
given a housing .war, how should it pull content from other .wars?

Now, I'm thick and slow at this stuff so far (early days!) but my
understanding is that an entry point is Java-to-Javascript code that
is executed when a host HTML page makes reference to the entry point.
So if I have an HTML page that refers to 127 entry points, then it's
like running 127 main() (onModuleLoad()) methods.  So if I want the
housing app to pull in the, say, finance application, then somewhere
under the control of the housing app there will be an HTML page
sucking in the housing module/entry point, and sucking in the finance
module/entry point.

Now in a perfect world I wouldn't want the housing app to know that
it's pulling in the finance app.  I come from a rich client
development background, primarily, doing stuff on the NetBeans
platform.  There you can drop your NetBeans modules (.jar files) in
The Right Place, and the "housing" (the NetBeans platform) picks them
up dynamically and runs them.  I'm looking for the GWT analog here.

Perhaps another way to ask (one of) my questions is like this:

I want one .war to have the HTML files that are in charge of deciding
what entry points--from various other .war files--to load.  There are
two problems with this, which is partly why I feel like I'm groping in
the dark, and am reaching out to the GWT group here:

1. War files don't know about other war files.  So war file 1 can't go
rummaging around in war file 2 to find a GWT module.  That's
nevertheless sort of what I want to happen.

2. Since that really isn't an option, what's left is the housing
referring to something like a list of URLs, each of which talks to a
servlet or what-have-you hosted by the "housed" war files.  That is,
let the Housing GWT app load up in the browser and then kick off a
bunch of async requests to go hit various URLs for the sub-
applications.  Something here just smells fishy to me; I am not
articulate enough at the moment to be able to state clearly what my
problem is with this approach.  Perhaps you or someone else can
educate me here.  One ancillary thing that occurs to me is that
security and authentication is a pain going this route unless there's
an SSO server back there somewhere.

> GWT gives you the ability to use Java source code management and
> testing technology while generating Javascript. I'd leverage that going
> forward. You haven't mentioned the server-side code. That may affect
> this discussion.

True; good point.  For now, assume it's pure JEE 5 stuff (.war files,
servlets, EJB3 on the back end).  We haven't made a final decision on
whether to use GWT RPC stuff or go pure web services for our
communication with the back end.

> o How to crush multiple legacy apps together, still keep them unique,
> while leveraging HTML
>      Frames.

Seriously?  Yikes.  These aren't legacy applications, BTW; they're
being developed right now.

Best,
Laird