Thanks for the reply Alex.

I was basically working through the Stock Watcher tutorial to ensure
everything was working. In step 2 this says "After the application is
compiled, a new browser window opens.", which was the case using
hosted mode.

There was also a note about Firefox being the default browser for PC.
I have a relatively new PC w/o Firefox, do you think this could be the
problem?

Btw, after I have compiled, can I just link to a particular html file
using IE to see the project run? StockWatcher.html didn't work -
perhaps I need apache running or something when not using GWT host?

Cheers