It's interesting to have a look at google AppEngine solutions. If you
planned to publish your GWT app using this environnement it's valuable
to consider the technologies proposed like JPA, JDO...
http://code.google.com/intl/fr/appengine/docs/java/gettingstarted/usingdatastore.html

My preference goes to JPA to start a new dev. Google example is mainly
about JDO but JPA is the J2EE5 new API, JDO is a little old
fashionned. Using App Engine this API utilisation is retricted to a
subset (with google nucleus engine) but with your own env. you are
free to use the full functionnalities set.

Furthermore JPA is only an interface and you are free to select and
change your background engine like Hibernate or Toplink. 2 very good
and strong solutions.

I can't see a real interest in a direct JDBC utilisation if you don't
need to keep your project as small as possible with less jar. JPA or
Hibernate can be used as a minimalist interface with good performances
and no effort. "Only" describe your POJO classes and some annotations
and he provide the column/fields mapping and basic CRUD methods. It's
not necessary to define relations like ManyToMany, OneToMany... this
way is close to JDBC but clean and easyest.

Often I use Hibernate or JPA like a basic way to read/update my POJO.
Working like an object oriented database or defining the navigationnal
between classes is interesting but it require a deeper think to
request loading optimization, data collection transfer... this is not
so easy to avoid beginners traps. You can choose this way latter.

Gilles.