We have implemented a push service using the long polling technique.
It works basically like this:

- the client makes a request to a service;
- in the server side, the service blocks while waiting for an event to
happen for a specified amount of time (30 seconds, for instance);
- either when (1) the desired event occurs or (2) the time is over,
the service stops blocking and finishes execution, responding to the
client;
- the client handles the response and...
- ... repeats the request to the service

Of course, that technique is not efficient for a relatively high
number of clients since the server will hold a thread for each
blocking request.  If that's a problem for you, take a look at Jetty's
implementation of Continuations.

Regards,

Célio