Is that the whole Category class, or is there more?

Because, if you have a persistent field with a null value, it gets
skipped by index operations.

The low-level query will succeed because an equality test on the
primary key uses the default, built-in automatic index table, whilst
all other queries use different index tables based on your index-
definitions.  ANY OBJECT WITH A NULL VALUE FOR A PERSISTENT FIELD IN
ANY JDO / JPA QUERY WILL BE SKIPPED.  Check your admin console, and
post what the actual data listed there says.

Are you using auto-indexing?  What does your datastore-indexes.xml
look like?  How did you Annotate Category?

...I'm still fairly fresh with appengine, so take my advice with a
couple grains of salt, hopefully a master of the arts will find this
thread and tell you exactly what's wrong.