My situation is quite similar to yours. I've decided to take all
future PHP faceless and use GWT to build all client-facing pages. I
can communicate with my PHP libraries by passing variables around.

Having done some Object Oriented PHP code, picking up Java hasn't been
that difficult. And, as I get better with GWT, I plan on upgrading
existing client-facing PHP to GWT. I am looking into tools like
extGWT, but haven't made any decisions yet on toolkits.

Steven