Step one: Upgrade to 1.6.4, it fixed most of my problems.  The upgrade
is backwards-compatible, just replace the jars and ignore all the
deprecation warnings; you can clear those when you see fit.

Step two: Check your History methods.  Make sure you've included the
History iframe {needed only by IE}.  Calling History.getToken(), and
in rare cases, History.fireCurrentHistoryState() too soon or without a
token present is known to cause spooky weirdness in IE with pages
failing to load.  I'm just assuming you're using History, because I
had the same problem some months back.

I was too frustrated to actually try testing it out and solving it
manually {I didn't have VirtualBox up yet, so I had to test on the [ex]
girlfriend's laptop, or reboot to test [ya, right...]}.  I got IE7 to
play nice by using a Timer to wait a few seconds after bootstrap to
check history, and for IE6...  I just got rid of History support, and
implemented a global application notification system so ClickHandlers
in the links could simulate History events.  As near as I can tell,
IE8 is >finally< History friendly.

Oh, and when you test, make sure you clear the cache often, it's part
of the bug.  There's a bunch of {more knowledgeable} posts about it
elsewhere.  Who knows, maybe it's already fixed in svn?

Also, you could try making IE automatically redirect to
http://yoursite.com#DoNothingToken to see if that helps.

I'll star this issue, and if you get it going, please let me know what
worked.  I'm too busy with UI right now to worry about AI...

Cheers!