http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/1.6/DevGuideOrganizingProjects.html

says the following about <servlet> tag is the module.xml

"NOTE: as of GWT 1.6, this tag does no longer loads servlets in hosted
mode, instead you must configure a WEB-INF/web.xml in your war
directory to load any servlets needed."

What I understand from this is that, I no longer need to supply the
<servlet> tag in the module XML. Instead I can provide the mappig in
war\WEB-INF\web.xml.

But this does not work for me. If I remove the servlet tag from the
module XML, my servlets are not hosted in hosted mode.

I really do not want the servlet mapping in the module XML because
these servlets are used only for JUnit tests. They are not shipped.
Having to specify the mapping in module XML, I have to modify the
module XML after I run the tests and before shipping.

Any idea?