Disregard my previous post I figured out what was wrong.  Both Jason's
jar method and the output folder method work.

I have two different modules in my main project only one of them uses
a java references to my dependent project.  However in order to get
GWT to compile I had to put <inherits> tags to my dependent project in
both modules.  When I reexamined the compile log I realized that the
module I thought wasn't compile was and the module that shouldn't care
about my dependent project was not compiling.